Thursday, November 12, 2009

Veterans Day

What an awesome day yesterday... Jen's dad was moved out of the ICU and I spent the evening with this veteran in the hospital drinking the strawberry Shatto milk I brought him (its his fav), and talking of old times. Talking to him... amazing he is doing this well... he was just on the ventilator yesterday! I guess I never did fill in why he was sick.. long story short... he received a heart transplant this spring, then came down with H1N1 the weekend of his son, Chris's wedding, waited a week before going to the hospital, and ended up with bilateral pneumonia. The problem being they had to take him off one of his anti rejection drugs to fight the illness, but then you risk hurting the new heart, and his kidneys weren't working well, so he was retaining fluid... ended up on a ventilator and everything...very scary situation and so amazing how he has made such a quick turn around! Since we have a few veterans in our own family that I missed out on spending time with, I am preparing a special meal tonight and having my parents and Uncle Danny over for dinner. Can't wait! My dad is retired Air Force and Danny was in the Navy... should be some good stories around the dinner table! Thanks to all the veterans and soldiers out there... because of your sacrifices we have freedom.

No comments: