Monday, April 26, 2010

March of Dimes

So in the midst of finals, I am participating in the March of Dimes walk. I have donated a total of $300 to other walkers, so I set this as my goal to raise (in less than 1 weeks time)! My friend and coworker, Jen, has done weekly Monday postings about the MOD... here's a link to her posting on surfactant, greatly benefitted Emilia during her NICU stay...
http://jamesonstories.blogspot.com/2010/02/march-of-dimes-monday.html

Baby Girl Jenkins at 2 days old... she did not have a name yet because how do you name a baby you haven't got to hold? I couldn't.


She was 5 days old the first time I held her... Chris picked out her name that morning. We held her for almost 6 hours straight, and I remember it being one of the most amazing days, like it only happened yesterday. She still sleeps with this blanket, which she has fondly named "greeny." My high school English teacher, Mrs. Creason bought it for her.


And today she is my choc-a-holic, sassy yet sweet little 3 year old...



Many babies are born much sicker than Emilia was, and are in the NICU a much longer time. While 5 days seemed like an eternity to hold her, I know moms that have had to wait a much longer time to hold their sweet babies. Being a NICU nurse is such an awesome job because we do get to care for these babies, watch them grow, and send them home. There are sad days, stressful days, and AMAZING days, and I am blessed to come home to this little chocolate face girl, that reminds me why I am a NICU nurse.
If you would like to donate to our team... here is the link!

3 comments:

Jenn Ross said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Seeing the picture of you holding Emilia for the first time was so touching. You are so awesome for raising money even though you have a lot going on with school. I'm so glad I get to work with such a fantastic nurse!

Skip, Stephanie, Emerald, Calvin, and Zachary said...

Thanks for working toward your goal! I wish you luck. Having gotten so involved in MOD, I have really seen some amazing stories. I loved seeing pics of you holding your beautiful girl. As a mom of a preemie, I thank you for your help in taking care of Zachary, and in helping to prevent this from happening to others.

Amanda Tadlock said...

Elizabeth, I never knew your little girl was early! I commend you for being the wonderful nurse that you are and glad you were one of our nurses!! I have always said (after the girls births of course) that if I lived in the city, I would have went back to school to be a NICU nurse. There's something about having gone through it that makes me feel I could give so much to other parents going through it!! Love your posts :) Amanda Tadlock