Sunday, August 16, 2009

Is this your chicken?

As Chris and I were getting ready to leave last night, we heard a rustling in the front bushes and peer out the front window only to see...

Umm... are you kidding me? I am very accustomed to seeing chipmunks and squirrels scamper through my flowers, but never a chicken and duck! I stepped outside to take a closer look...

Okay, just checking. It really was a chicken and a duck! These two are partners in crime and I have seen them lurking two yards over since Easter. Because this is the same neighbor we have had dog issues with, I had chosen to ignore the 7 illegal pets they were housing as babies the week of Easter. I needed say nothing anyways because the babies were quite small and would climb through the neighbors fence that confines two dogs. End of story for most of them, except for this one chicken and one duck. Oh, and by dog issues, I am referring to the leash law that exists in Lee's Summit and the neighbor that insists that if I would like to keep her dog out of my yard I should put up a fence, but she shouldn't have to. Really? Last time I checked, fences were usually put up to keep things in, not out, oh, unless you are referring to the fence around my veggie garden that was put up to keep the deer out... anyway I digress. I do not have a dog. Fence your own yard! Her dog isn't nice or it would not be an issue. It comes into my yard and barks and growls at me and chases my nieces and nephews around trying to bite their ankles. Then it uses my yard as it's bathroom ... very gross! Hmm..okay.. the first few times it happened, my husband was really nice and simply walked two doors down and asked her to come get her dog out of our yard... simple request? Not to her. She thought since she had lived here longer that she did not appreciate us causing a problem. All her conversations have come with a bit of a drunken slur as well... I was told by another neighbor that all I had to do next time was take her a box of cheap wine and things would go much better! Finally we began calling animal control over the dog and she has done a much better job with the dog... so that leads us to the fowl that are frolicking in my flowers. I decided to be nice this time and simply ask her to get the frolicking fowl out of my flowers. Done! Maybe this was an isolated incident? Imagine my surprise when I heard a pecking on my front door this morning and open to find the new neighborhood peeping tom looking in my front door!

He tried to escape unnoticed, but due to the rain (and recognizable tail), he left wet chicken prints across my front porch and trapped himself in the dead end! Doesn't he know he is a bird and birds are supposed to fly? Or does that not apply to chickens??

Guess we will have to figure out how much of these feathery fowls are tolerable because PS: It is not legal to have farm animals within city limits let alone wondering the neighborhood. Guess I am on my way to get a box of wine... where do you get that anyway???

No comments: