Thursday, September 10, 2009

Feeding the Duggars...

A few weeks ago I was having a conversation with a very close friend and she commented that nobody would know how odd I was by reading this blog. Thanks... I won't mention your name! She replied, "no, really you are odd in a good way- it's a compliment!" Sure, that it like telling a friend that a pair of jeans don't make her butt look THAT big... news flash... not really a compliment! But to humor her I was trying to think of one of the many odd flaws I have, which she apparently believes to be quite numerous. We have already discussed my germaphobic ways... no big secret there... any innocent bystander at the grocery store can see the way I disinfect the shopping cart with a vengeance and they witness the small satisfaction I get from seeing all the dirt I can possibly wipe from it, and they can watch how I will continue to wipe until I get nothing on my disinfecting wipe. You may find this odd, but it is quite normal to me, and I find others that just plop their kiddos in the e. coli ridden carts to be the odd ones, but I don't say anything about that! I really couldn't think of anything too quirky... until... Melissa asked me if I wanted to make a quick run to the grocery store with her. I said sure because I was actually out of pepper. Two hours later I arrived home with a full car of groceries to put away and realized I just might not have enough room for them. Is my refrigerator small? Nope. Plus I have a 2nd one in the garage, as well as a full size deep freeze. HMMM... is this one of those odd things she was referring to? Surely not! After all I am shopping for a family of 3.. oh wait... maybe this is one of the things she was referring to. My need to be able to feed the entire Duggar family in case they stop by? Now here is where I will try to justify myself... I rotate my stock so it is never wasted, and if I have too much of something that I will not use, I simply give it to a family member that will. Just so we can establish how bad the problem (supposedly) is, I took photos... Exhibit A... my own at home Costco...
Excessive? Not really because we will use the 6 bottles of ranch quite quickly, and can you ever have too much organic mac n cheese? Maybe I don't need so many containers of dishwashing tablets, but they will all get used eventually, and in my defense... I had a coupon! The only thing I see truly excessive here would be the spaghetti sauce, because oddly enough we don't eat spaghetti often due to Emilia's dislike of anything red to eat... On to exhibit B... the deep freeze!
The entire bottom right shelf full of while grain waffles... not excessive because Emilia eats 2 a day, so we go through them quite quickly. Entire shelf of frozen veggies will be used quite quickly once veggie stew season is in full force. Okay, the frozen entrees may be excessive, but they were on sale and Chris likes to take them for lunch. Otherwise this freezer is stocked full of individually packaged chicken, ground beef, steaks, briskets, and pork loins of which all will be gone within the next month... again, it is not excessive if it is not wasted! If I get too desperate to get rid of it, I will just have my large family over (not large in size, but in number :)) and it will be gone even sooner! 
While I enjoy making homemade breads, just in case I don't feel like it, I give you exhibit C...the freezer above the refrigerator in the garage...
Earthgrains double fiber whole grain bread... it's corn syrup free! :)
Freezer above our 2nd refrigerater in the garage... exhibit D
WOW, look at that, it is almost empty!
the 2nd refrigerator in the garage...exhibit E...
And because I don't want to be totally humiliated by the stock in my pantry, but to prove it is not empty, I give you exhibit F... one small section of it!
more ranch anyone???
Okay, so I am a bit embarrassed at this point and will not be showing you the freezer or refrigerator in my kitchen because I do need to maintain some sort of dignity!
The weird thing is that we eat more fresh than frozen fruits and veggies, but should there be a huge swine flu outbreak or ice storm and we wanted to stay in, we could! Oh and PS Melissa, next time you want me to make a quick run to the store with you, remind me I am out of room in my deep freeze!
I hope my (supposed) friend is satisfied but my revealing something odd, but before you laugh too hard, girlie, remember whose house you like to come eat at! :) We are having BBQ ribs tonight... 6pm and don't be late!

No comments: