Sunday, March 6, 2011

flashing back to the highlights of the past year...July

So this past year has been quite busy and challenging, but now I have found myself with doctors orders to stay down (more on that later), and so am free to blog away. Unfortunately typing is somewhat difficult, so I will just be posting pictures of the highlights, and let them do most the talking…so starting in July...

In July, I received an awesome job opportunity through Children’s Mercy Hospital that was an answer to prayers. Not only did they offer me a job for when I graduate (May 2011), but a salary and school tuition for my last year of school, and best part being I didn't have to work and could just focus on school and clinicals. While the decision to take the position was easy to make, I never realized how much I would miss some of my coworkers. Luckily, I have been able to stay in touch with many of them, but I do miss working with them and with my sister, Heather! Here are a few snapshots of some of my favorite coworkers that I just happen to have because I helped take photos for a NICU book the unit was putting together!

My last day....

Here are two of my coworkers that I worked with on my last day, Charlotte and Ashley. These photos were taken in the new addition that just opened that day! Then my coworker and friend, Audrey, made me the yummy treats seen below. Chris knew this would be a hard day, and brought me the prettiest flowers to brighten my day!


 Here's a few snapshots a some of my coworkers...




I learned so much working at Overland Park Regional as a nurse, and now I am looking forward to what I have left to learn to be a NNP at Childrens' Mercy, and so grateful for this opportunity!

Chris also turned the big 31 in July, and while I had to work the actual day of his birthday, my mom and Emilia had a homemade cake waiting for dessert, then we celebrated as a family later that week in Omaha!

Emilia designed the above cupcake for him... it is a picture of Chris and I swinging Emilia in the air... and then my mom actually did the decorating!
I actually had a few weeks off between when I quit OP and when I was starting at Children's Mercy and beginning fall semester, so we opted to head to Omaha for a quick mini vacation. We couldn't decide where to stay, so we spent our 1st few nights at the historical Magnolia Hotel, which had a evening cookies and milk bar, and was in a beautiful historic stone building, and then the last few nights at the Embassy Suites, which had an indoor pool, yummy breakfast, and was in a great location to walk around the market area.

So 1st the Magnolia Hotel...
It had this great little courtyard out back that we could enjoy our evening cookies, and one of Emilia's many evening dance performances, of course.

 
When I have more time, I will post more photos of this hotel... it was amazing!
  
Emilia loved the little bars of soap... only hotel downfall was no bathtub, but it had a nice big shower that Emilia thought she was big stuff being able to shower on her own.
   

  The hotel was charming, clean and we loved it. We also loved the Omaha Children's museum... especially Emilia!
Creating one of our many masterpieces...




 



    



       
Emilia went on her 1st carriage ride through the old downtown part of Omaha.

One of my favorite things about this town is the old buildings... so many things to take photos of!
No matter where we stayed, though, almost everyday begun and ended with a pillow fight!
Then came union station...

    

They had a neat little soda shop that we enjoyed some morning icecream at, then off to sight see a bit more...
        
Sara, Emilia's baby, of course, went with us everywhere. Emilia had even packed Sara her own suitcase for the trip... what a good little mama!

We are still trying to teach her how to use her pointer finger, but in the meantime hope others do not get offended by her finger of choice!
                          
Admiring her pretty baby girl, while I admire my pretty baby girl!
  
      
       
hanging out, and finding slides to slide down!

They actually caught air one of the rides down, when they opted to use a piece of wax paper someone so kindly offerred... then they ended up on the ground in a pile of gravel!

She's out little thrill seeker, though, so she loved it!

Stopping to feed the geese...
Then off to the zoo... the best part!

        
This little owl seemed so sweet, until we began talking to him, then he hopped right down and began walking around fluffing his feathers and acting like he was trying to impress or attack somebody...
       
       
We loved the tigers, but our favorite was the polarbears...
   
   
this little guy was looking quite comfy!

         
comparing monkey hands!
This fancy peacock spent much of his day following us around begging for cherios, which Emilia was happy to share!
                      

I'm not sure if Sara liked the elephants or frozen lemonade more...

I am not sure who had longer legs, Emilia or this Giraffe! :)
 The butterflies wouldn't hold still long enough to get many good pics!
   

    

And there was nothing we could do to get this little guy to cheer up... he just seemed so sad!
Our all time favorite was the aquarium, though... 
  

               

And then we had one last hot adventure at the blueberry patch, but the pickings were well worth the heat, and we even found a little unexpected suprise in the middle of a blueberry bush!

                  
It was a great July!

2 comments:

Jenn Ross said...

I loved the pictures of all the OPRMC NICU staff! Glad to see you blogging again but hope you get better soon!

Amanda Tadlock said...

I love your blog! all your pictures are amazing and of course I loved seeing the OPRMC crew as most of them pictured were some of my fav nurses as well as you!! I hope all starts looking up soon and I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers!!